Today, I have a really fun and easy recipe for a delicious, sweet, tangy and slightly bitter pink grapefruit curd. It is delicious as a filling in a pie, or swirled in yoghurt with a few berries and raw almonds on top. This would also make a fantastic flavor in a vanilla ice cream base.
Here's how to make it!
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1/2 to 1 cup of granulated sugar (according to how sweet you like the curd to be, and how sweet your grapefruit is)
- 4 egg yolks, you can keep the whites for an another recipe like a chocolate mousse or macarons
- 1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter, cold
- zest and juice the grapefruit
- mix the zest, sugar and yolks in a bowl, whisk in the grapefruit juice and stir until the sugar is dissolved
- cook over very low heat (even better in a double boiler) and stir continuously until the mixture starts to thicken a little, then add the butter cube by cube and stir until the butter is melted and blended in and the cream thickens. The perfect consistency will stick a wooden spoon held above the pot
- strain in a mesh to remove stringy zest (or don't if you like the texture; I like it very smooth) and refrigerate
Note: this curd will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator
- enjoy whichever way you want! I like mine by the spoon(ladle)ful, right out of the jar!