Nothing simpler than these little drops of deliciousness known as Spaetzle.
They are a typical European pasta-like dumpling dish, best served slathered in butter (what else?) with stews such as Hungarian Paprikash and Goulash or even German Sauerkraut and Wurst. So good! They truly are the best comfort food ever!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 people):
- 250g AP flour
- 1 egg
- 1 glass of water (about 200ml)
- a pinch of salt
- mix all ingredients well (try to avoid any lumps) until the batter is tacky and a bit on the runny side and transfer to a pitcher (this will make the pouring a bit easier)
- using a large-holed colander, sieve the batter and dump the droplets in a pot of boiling salted water
- the Spaetzle are cooked when they float to the surface
- drain and serve topped with butter