Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homemade spaghetti recipe

Dead simple!

After my last post, Malou asked for the recipe of my homemade spaghetti.


For all kinds of pasta: 1 egg/100g of regular flour.  


Note: you can also use semolina flour to have a little more of a coarse dough. Be careful, the dough may be a little dry then, so adjust the quantity of semolina flour to a little less than if you use regular flour

Just make a small well in the flour, and break the egg(s) into this well. Slightly whisk them and then incorporate them progressively into the flour with your hands. I find that just twirling my fingers in a clockwise manner in the egg mixture is enough to take some flour every time, until it becomes really tacky and gooey.

Note: counter-clockwise swirling works just fine ;)

Then I just go at it full throttle, and use both my hands as I knead the dough  on a clean surface until it is firm and springy. If it is too sticky, you can use a little more flour. Then I just wrap it in cling film, and let it rest for at least 45 minutes in the fridge. 


When the dough has rested a while, I usually cut it, and make small patties of it, before I stretch it in my pasta machine. I then use the tagliatelle/spaghetti blades of the machine if I want to make long pasta; if I stick to lasagna, then I just don't use those blades.



Attention: those pasta are fresh, and cook really quickly! I think 2 minutes in boiling salted water are enough. Tagliatelle are delicious fresh. Spaghetti however are a little too "floppy" if not dried before hand.

I dry my pasta in two different ways:

1- I make little nests, and let them dry as such



2- Clothes hangers work wonders, but I suggest a little safer setup...



(I find that 5 eggs and 500g of flour will be plenty enough for a big lasagna dish)

2 comments: