Saturday, April 6, 2013

Asparagus and Egg Soup

This post brings me so many childhood memories.

My grandmother used to prepare this soup for us when my sister and I were little and had sleepovers at her place...

For years, I have tried to recreate the exact, delicate and slightly acidic taste I remembered so well. Last year, I finally found a recipe that was close enough that I was sure a little tweaking would allow me to savour it again.

Here's my recreation (switched green asparagus for white just like my grandma did, added a splash of vinegar and changed the egg ratio). Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS (for 2-3 people):
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or veggie broth for a vegetarian option)
- 1 bunch white asparagus
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs (the fresher, the better)
- 1 1/3 cups cut spaghetti (my grandma used vermicelli, which are thinner and shorter angel hair pasta, but my supermarket only carried the cut spaghetti)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (any white vinegar will do - do not use red wine vinegar or balsamic)
- salt and pepper to taste


RECIPE:
- bring the water and bouillon cube to a boil

- in the mean time, separate the egg yolks and whites and mix the yolks with the sour cream

- peel the asparagus, cut them into short segments and reserve the tips

- when the seasoned water boils, add the asparagus cubes, vinegar, salt and cook for 7-8 minutes

- when the asparagus are almost fork tender, add the pasta and asparagus tips. Cook for another 7 minutes (or until the pasta is al dente)

- beat the egg white, add them to the hot soup and stir immediately to separate the whites into strings

- turn off the heat, add the yolk and cream mixture and stir well until the soup thickens

- serve piping hot, sprinkled with pepper to taste

- Bon app'!

No comments:

Post a Comment