Monday, April 22, 2013

Homemade salt pork shoulder

Nothing easier than salt-curing your meat yourself! I recently needed to find salted pork shoulder meat to cook the French dish: petit salé aux lentilles (salt pork shoulder with lentils). I could not for the life of me find the meat I needed, so I decided to cure a pork shoulder myself. Little did I know how easy it would turn out to be.

Here's how I did it:

INGREDIENTS:
- pork shoulder, bone in (trim the rind if it comes with it)
- a lo-hot of salt! (coarse)


RECIPE:
- lay the shoulder on a bed of salt, in a deep dish

- cover the meat with salt until you pretty much can't see it :)

- place a plastic cutting board on top and weigh it down

- store in the fridge for at least 3 days (make sure to drain the juices that will form, and add extra salt as you go)

Note: I personally left mine in the fridge for 6 days
- to desalt it, rinse well under running water, then cover the meat in a lot of cold water and put back in the fridge for one hour
- after one hour, change the water and repeat
- after another hour, change the water again, and leave in the fridge overnight, until ready to use the meat

Note: make sure to really desalt the meat well, otherwise your dish will be inedible...

No comments:

Post a Comment