Who doesn't like a rich, creamy and comforting cheesy potato gratin? I sure do :)
Here's how you can make it!
INGREDIENTS (4 people as side dish):
- 4 medium potatoes (I used Yukon Golds)
- at least 1/2 pint heavy cream (I did not measure exactly how much I used, just splashed it a few times over the dish)
- nutmeg (I prefer using freshly grated, but already ground is fine too)
- salt, pepper
- grated Gruyere cheese (it really makes a big difference here. I would rather not use cheese at all than use anything else; Gruyere has a very specific nutty taste that no other cheese can recreate :) )
- preheat your oven at 350F
- peel the potatoes and slice them really thin using a mandolin
Note: be careful with the mandolin and use the guard! If you do not have a mandolin, you can use a knife.
- lay a single layer of potatoes in the bottom of an oven-safe dish, season with salt and pepper and grate a little nutmeg and sprinkle grated Gruyere on top
- repeat with other layers of potatoes until there is no more!
Note: only grate nutmeg every other layer, otherwise it will be overpowering. Salt, pepper and cheese can be used every layer :D
- finish with healthy dose of grated Gruyere and splash heavy cream on top (between a half a pint and a whole pint)
- bake for an hour at 350F, then turn off the oven and leave the potatoes to cool in the closed oven for another hour
- serve alongside a green salad for a light dinner. It's also a fantastic side dish to red meat.