Monday, February 17, 2014

Korean BBQ chicken (Dak Bulgogi)

The third installment of my Asian culinary experiments is a Korean BBQ chicken (or Dak Bulgogi).

I had a ton of fun researching this recipe and shopping for groceries. I think I'm going to try more recipes from around the world every now and then.

Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS (4 people):
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 asian pear
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 inches of fresh ginger
- 4 scallions
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce


RECIPE:
- remove the skin and bones of the chicken thighs and slice the meat thinly

Note: you can keep the bones for use in a homemade chicken stock
- slice the scallions, grate the onion, garlic, ginger, asian pear and add all the ingredients in a large bowl

- mix well until the chicken is well coated with the marinade, and let rest in the fridge for at least one hour

- cook in a skillet for a few minutes over high heat until cooked through and slightly caramelized

- I chose to serve mine sprinkled with sesame seeds, with large romaine lettuce leaves to make salad wraps alongside sliced tomatoes and limes
Note: I know, I know, limes are absolutely not a Korean ingredient (confirmed by my Korean colleague), but I think the tang of lime juice cut really nicely the sweet and round taste of this BBQ chicken. Feel free to omit this non-authentic ingredient ;)
- 하겠습니다





No comments:

Post a Comment