I don't know about you, but fresh fennel bulbs are one of my absolute favorite vegetables. It is crisp, refreshing, slightly sweet and has this subtle liquorice and anise aftertaste that I just cannot get enough of.
Fennel bulbs and vinegar. Love.
- 1 fresh fennel bulb
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- optional: 1/4 cup sugar (if you like your pickles very salty and vinegary omit this step, but I think it works well in the case of fennel)
- trim the fennel bulb, remove the core and slice paper-thin with a mandolin
- stuff the fennel snuggly in a mason jar (don't forget the green parts!) and sprinkle with the spices
- bring the water, vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil and pour over the fennel
- close the jar lid and let cool completely before refrigerating for at least 1 day
- eat as a side dish to meat, fish, in a salad or just as a snack!