Saturday, May 10, 2014

Braised collard greens with bacon and vinegar

There's a story behind this post.

This recipe stemmed from my love of cookbooks (maybe I should do a post about my faves, what do you think?) combined with a borderline obsession with anything that has to do with the South. I'm a Dixie chick at heart. I love the food (duh!), the landscapes, the warm weather… You get what I'm saying.

So when I stumbled upon this book, I thought 'Oh, how cool! A book just about New Orleans food'. I had absolutely no idea Treme was actually a show, and only realized it once I started to read the book back in the comfort of my home, curled up in my couch. Don't you love those cocooning sessions, wrapped up in a throw, reading a good book in peace and quiet? I do. And my favorite kind of books to do this are cookbooks.

I've always liked collard greens and just fell in love with the collard greens recipe in the Treme book the moment I saw it. I decided right then and there to adapt it and share it with you guys.

Hope you'll like this recipe :)

PS: go get the Treme cookbook now!


INGREDIENTS (4 to 6 people as a side dish):
- 2.5 lbs collard greens (for me, that was two bunches)
- 4 strips of thick cut bacon (I only had 4 strips left, but feel free to use more)
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced finely
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- salt to taste (I actually didn't need any because of how salty the bacon was)


RECIPE:
- remove the ribs of the collard greens and wash and drain the leafy parts

- bring a pot of water to a boil, blanch the collard greens for about 2 minutes, drain well and chop into 1 inch wide strips


- in a thick bottom skillet, fry the bacon until crispy over medium-high heat

- add the diced onion, garlic, thyme and chili flakes and cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes until the onion is transparent

- add the vinegar, broth, bring to a boil and add the chopped greens

- cover and simmer for 2 hours over very low heat until the greens are tender

- serve warm
- those Southern-style collard greens make a perfect side dish to pan-fried ham and grits :)
- enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment