Monday, May 26, 2014

Quick pickled okra and mango

I'm not going to lie. My first ever experience with okra was a gumbo slimefest. In New Orleans, I'll grant you that, but a slimefest nonetheless. I just simply hated it!

Fast forward a few years, and I had my second taste of the little green pods. In a tibetan stirfry, and I LOVED it! Not at all slimy, just the right amount of crunch and seasoning. I was smitten. I also realized that the response to okra is binary: you either hate it or you love it. There's nothing in between.

Since then I've been trying okra in all forms I can find it.

Because I love pickles and they are so easy to make, I decided to try my hand at pickled okra. Super simple and you can take it in any direction you like!

I chose to pickle my okra with mango and jalapeño pepper. Divine!


INGREDIENTS (yields two 1 pint jars):
- fresh okra, rinsed and drained
- 1 small filipino mango (or any kind you like, really!), not too ripe
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
Note: for pickling liquid, just keep the ratio of 2tbsp salt, 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar. Adjust if you need  more or less.


RECIPE:
- bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil

- in the mean time, layer the spices, sliced jalapeño, okra and diced mango (with the skin) in the jars

- cover with boiling pickle liquid all the way to the rim, close the jars and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating

- let sit in the fridge for a few days before eating
- enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment