Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Scandinavian experiment

Some of you may know that a couple of months ago, I went to Norway and Sweden for a few days. I came back from there with quite a few delicacies such as Geitost, Flädersläktet (Elderflower) jelly, Wasa crackers (of course) and smoked moose ham.

A few weeks ago, I decided to use the smoked moose, since the peremption date was approaching.

With that in mind, I improvised a pasta casserole with a Chasseur-like sauce.

I do not recall the exact recipe, as I pretty much went along with the flow, but it went a little something like that:

  • fry the smoked moose in a bit of butter, until slightly crispy. Put aside on a plate.
  • in the same pan, fry a finely diced onion (I would have used a shallot if I had had one in stead) in a little bit of butter, until golden, but not too brown. 
  • add a few sliced rehydrated porcini (of which you will have kept the water)
  • add the meat to the pan, and flame with a little cap of Gin (the original smoked reindeer stew recipe I was inspired from contained juniper berries, which I did not have).
    NOTE: if you flame food, shut down air aspiration! and be very careful with your hair, brows and lashes! ;)
  • add a couple of handfuls of spinach leaves (I used frozen spinach, that I thawed completely beforehand, and pressed all the water out of), add the water used to rehydrate the porcini mushrooms and cook until spinach is warm and tender. 
  • add a dollop of sour cream on top, a little black pepper and salt to taste.
    NOTE: the smoked meat may be very salted, so be gentle with the salt!




  • pour on top of cooked whole grain pasta (I used penne rigate).

29 November 2009

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment