Nothing simpler than making your own dulce de leche. This deliciously sweet ooey-gooey marvelousness that is dulce de leche can be yours for only 2 dollars, in less than 3 hours!
Also, if you've never had it, you HAVE to try it :)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- remove the label of the can and rinse it well
- submerge the can, unopened, in a pot of water and bring to a boil (making sure that the water level is always about 1 inch above the top of the can)
- lower the heat and simmer for 90 minutes to 2 hours
- let the can cool before you open it and transfer the milk into a sterilized glass jar; it is now a beautiful golden color and has a gooey creamy texture
- dulce de leche keeps for forever in the fridge, but I'm not sure this has been scientifically proven, since it is litterally impossible not to finish the jar in a few days :/
- you can serve this on toast for breakfast, in yoghurt, with bananas and oatmeal, as a sweetener for coffee, on fresh apple slices,... pretty much any way you'd like! this is such a versatile treat :)
- can you guess how I'm going to have it?