I haven't been this excited since the arrival of Piotr the Kitchenaid!
A couple of months ago, I got a super duper dorky-cool himalayan salt block for my birthday and I'm christening it today!
I decided to celebrate the awesomeness of owning such a cool gadget with seared scallops and buttered garlic spinach.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 very excited kitchen dork):
- 5 scallops
- a splash of olive oil
- a handful of fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- pepper to taste
- a cooking grade salt block
- NO EXTRA SALT
- gradually heat your salt block on a gas stove (20 minutes on low, 20 minutes on medium, 40 minutes on high)
- it is normal at this point to observe discoloration of the salt block
- pat dry the scallops and lightly brush with olive oil and sear on the hot salt block (about 5-7 minutes per side), reserve on the side
- melt the butter on the block and deglaze as much caramelized juices as possible before adding the spinach and as soon as it begins to wilt, add the garlic and toss
- serve the scallops on a bed of spinach and add pepper to taste
- Bon appetit!