Bouquet garni is a generic term used to talk about aromatic herbs usually used in French one-pot dishes. There is no one recipe for it, but it always contains thyme and bay leaves and is frequently bundled into the green part of a leek leaf, tied with twine.
Here is how I do mine.
INGREDIENTS (for one bouquet):
- 1 piece of green leek leaf
- 2 small bay leaves, or 1 big
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of flat leaf parsley
- cooking twine
- lay all the herbs into the green leek leaf, roll in a bundle and tie with cooking twine
Note: my leek leaf was a little stiff, so my bouquet ressembled a hobbit packed lunch, but you get the idea ;)
- use as directed in your stew recipe