So you made Pot Roast and have been eating leftovers for a few days? Worry no more! Here is a super simple recipe that will get rid of those last bits and pieces that don't even constitute a full meal anymore!
A couple of weeks ago, I prepared a Pot-au-feu (the French equivalent of Pot Roast), and had some to eat at lunch and dinner for the next four days. On day number 5, I was so sick of it I knew I just had to end it and make those leftovers vanish!
I whipped up this express Sheperd's pie in exactly 5 minutes and heated it up in the microwave for 3 minutes. Dinner ready in 8 minutes? Yes, please!
- pot roast leftovers (veggies, meat, broth)
- tomato paste
- optional: grated cheese if you want to fancy it up and brown the dish under a broiler
- put the cooked meat in a bowl and pull apart with two forks (or your hands), add a squeeze of tomato paste (about 1 tbsp) and some broth. Mix it well; you want the meat to be moist, not soupy
- mash the remaining veggies (in my case carrots, turnips and potatoes) and pour over the meat, directly in the bowl
- heat it through for a few minutes and enjoy your express dinner!
Note: if you want, you can do this in a small oven-safe dish, grate some cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan, cheddar, whichever you like, really!) and broil in a preheated oven.