This is the perfect soup.
Simple, fast, easy on the wallet, low fat and delicious. What else do you want? Now get in your kitchen and go make this!!
Best enjoyed on a cold night, while wearing cozy pyjamas and couch-potating (yes, that's a word!) Crosswords optionnal.
Note: this soup was not designed as a vegetarian recipe but can easily be adapted to a vegetarian/vegan diet.
INGREDIENTS (4 people or 2 people with leftovers; 1hr cooking time):
- 3 medium eggplants
- about 3lbs tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- about 1 tbsp tomato paste
- a sprig of thyme
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 2 salted anchovies in oil
- a splash of olive oil
Vegetarian option: switch to vegetable broth and omit the anchovies
- preheat your oven at 425F
- cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, sprinkle with olive oil and place cut side down in an oven-safe dish. Oil the garlic cloves, wrap in aluminium foil and place next to the eggplants
- place in the pre-heated oven and roast for about 45 minutes until golden.
- while the eggplants are roasting (about 10 minutes in), heat a little olive oil in a deep pot and melt the anchovies over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and thyme and cook for a few minutes; add the tomato paste and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until soft
- add the quartered tomatoes, the broth and bring to a boil
- cook for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. The garlic and eggplants should now look like this:
- tell me that isn't the most scrumptious thing you've ever seen! I dare ya!
- scrape out the eggplant flesh, and reserve in a bowl with the roasted garlic until ready to use
- when the tomatoes are soft, add the eggplant and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes
- turn off the heat and blend the soup until smooth (I used a stick blender)
- serve with a slice of crusty sourdough bread (can you tell I love sourdough?!), or a grilled cheese sandwich for a fancy complete meal :)