How very, very true.
If you're also stuck in a frigid climate this week, you might want to give this soup a try. Extremely simple, you only need a few ingredients to make it. It is very healthy with lotsof good seafood proteins and fats, vitamins and fibers from the parsnips and just enough of a kick from the curry. If you ask me, it is a perfect combination of flavors.
Here's how you can make it!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 people as a starter, 2 people for a light dinner):
- 4 cups chicken stock (can be replaced with vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 1 bag of parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp curry powder, reserve 1/2 tsp out of this
- 1 cup frozen scallops, thawed (you can also use fresh, of course!)
- add the 1/2 tsp curry powder to the scallops, mix to coat well and let marinate at room temperature while you make the soup
- in a pot, melt the butter and saute the sliced shallot over medium-high heat until soft, then add the curry powder and cook for a minute over medium heat
- add the parsnips and broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the parsnips are soft and cooked all the way through
- after 20 minutes, puree until smooth with a stick blender then add the thawed scallops and poach over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the scallops are just cooked
Note: if using large scallops, you may want to slice them thinly before you poach them in the soup
- serve hot, sprinkled with a pinch of curry powder