Another cold day, another soup.
In this wintry weather, there's nothing I like more than homemade tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
This is one of my go-to recipes for lazy days. I usually just use fresh tomatoes and chicken stock, but I decided to keep this one vegan, use plain water for liquids and add flavor units with sun-dried tomatoes.
Here's how to make this soup.
INGREDIENTS (4 people):
- 10 medium tomatoes on the vine, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely diced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (or you can make your own oven-dried, click here for a recipe), sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsps sugar, not pictured
- 3 to 4 cups of water or broth, not pictured
- salt and pepper to taste, not pictured
- in a deep pot, fry the diced onions and garlic in the olive oil on medium heat until translucent (2 to 3 minutes), then add the dried and fresh tomatoes and cover with water (or broth)
- bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked (about 20 minutes)
- turn off the heat and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add a little water or broth if you like a lighter consistency
Note: if you want a very smooth soup, I recommend peeling and seeding the fresh tomatoes before adding them to the pot.
- serve hot alongside a grilled cheese sandwich or sprinkled with roasted chickpeas for a totally vegan meal