Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blueberry and cherry pie

My favorite part of summer? Fresh fruit galore!

I've been stocking up on fresh cherries because well, I love them! And what better to do the other day when it started pouring down outside and I couldn't enjoy my Sunday? Yes, you guessed it right: Ch-ch-ch-cherry pie! And since I had a few leftover blueberries that were threateneing to go bad, I decided to use them up in a beautiful sweet pie!

Here's how I did it.



INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 2 cups of fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pie crust (click here for a recipe)
- a small piece of butter and a pinch of flour to grease and dredge the dish (not pictured)


RECIPE:
- preheat your oven at 375F
- Pit and stem the cherries, and mix them with the blueberries, lemon zest, juice, cornstarch and sugar and let rest at room temperature until ready to use

- grease the pie dish with butter and dredge with flour, then roll out the pie crust thinly (about 1/8") and place gently in the center of the dish

- scoop the pie filling in the center of the crust and trim the extra dough

- if you are feeling artistic, feel free to use the dough trimmings to decorate your pie

- bake the pie at 375F for about 45 minutes, or until the dough is just golden and the filling is cooked and bubbly

- this delicious fruity, summery and juicy cherry-blueberry pie is best enjoyed warm with a dollop of sour cream or vanilla ice-cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment