Sunday, July 6, 2014

Clafoutis aux cerises (Classic French dessert with black cherries and flan batter)

It's summer time!!! And that means cherries are in season right now! Color me happy, because cherries are one of my absolute favorite fruits :)

For my first post of July, I decided to treat you guys (and myself at the same time!) with a delicious classic French dessert: Clafoutis aux cerises. It is a simple flan batter poured over juicy, plump black cherries and baked to golden custardy perfection.

Sounds good? It is! Try it and let me know how you liked it.



INGREDIENTS (for 4 people):
- about 1/2 lb of pitted fresh black cherries (my advice: invest in a cherry pitter. I did this with chopsticks and it was a bloody mess!)
Note: the traditional recipe calls for unpitted cherries, as they give an almond flavor to the cake. But I like my teeth, thank you very much, so pitted cherries it is!
- 1 tbsp AP flour
- 4 to 5 tbsp granulated sugar, depending on how sweet your cherries are
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- a little bit of cold butter, for the pan


RECIPE:
- preheat your oven at 400F
- using a paper towel, thoroughly grease an 8" pan with the cold butter

Note: I used a 9" pan and it ended up being a little big for the amount of batter
- mix all the ingredients, except the cherries, until smooth like a very thin pancake batter

- place the cherries in the bottom of the pan and pour the batter on top of the fruits

- lower the oven to 300F and bake for 1 hour until golden at the corners

- enjoy lukewarm or cold with a nice glass of cold milk, or a steaming cup of black tea




No comments:

Post a Comment